Tiny Shakes: Romeo and Juliet
Two River’s most popular education program breaks the mold to create something entirely new with Tiny Shakes: Romeo and Juliet, adapted and directed by Em Weinstein (A Little Shakespeare: Twelfth Night). As in A Little Shakespeare productions, Tiny Shakes brings high school students together with a professional design team, with students performing and supporting the production behind the scenes.
This year, the program takes the limitations of 2021 as an opportunity for students to delve deeply into Shakespeare’s star-crossed romantic tragedy, giving them the agency to tell the story of each scene in their own way and film it: Traditional Zoom scene reading? Rap battle? Movement or dance piece? Animation? The sky’s the limit! These videos will be edited into a theatrical collage that can be accessed through Two River’s website this May. There, audiences and educators can take the journey of the play through the videos, and continue to use this site as a resource.
CALL FOR VIDEO SUBMISSIONS—DUE MARCH 1, 2021
ELIGIBILITY & SUBMISSION GUIDE
WHO IS ELIGIBLE:
- High school students interested in acting, Shakespeare, film-making, design (costumes, props, lighting, sound), editing, stage management, directing, etc.
- This program is entirely virtual, so if you are a high school student who can attend rehearsals in the Eastern Time Zone, you are encouraged to submit.
WHAT TO DO:
(all steps are required)
1. Read through the Tiny Shakes: Romeo and Juliet Rehearsal Schedule and make sure that you are available to commit to this program.
2. Fill out this Google Form with your contact info and experience/interest.
3. Record a video between 2-3 minutes inspired by a scene or moment from Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet. If you’re interested in acting in the show, please make sure the video includes you speaking a monologue from the show. Be as creative as you wish! The video can include music, dance, humor, found footage, drawings, etc. The main purpose of this video is for us to get to know who you are, so the main task is to be your weird, wonderful self.
4. Submit your video by 4 pm on March 1, 2021. Upload your video to Dropbox or Google Video and send the share link to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tickets for Tiny Shakes: Romeo and Juliet will be available in March 2021. The final production will launch in May 2021.