HOWARD ARONSON METRO SCHOLARS
High school juniors get an inside look at the professional theater-making process, from sets and costumes to marketing and audience services.
This year-long program offers a unique opportunity for high school juniors from across New Jersey to learn about professional theater and contribute to the work at Two River. Participants take workshops with professional artists, assist staff in a variety of departments throughout the organization, AND see every show in our season for free. Whether you are interested in pursuing a career in the performing arts, want to attend a university program focused on theater, or enjoy theater and want to learn more about how it really works, this year-long program is for you.
Since 2005, 201 outstanding students have completed the Howard Aronson Metro Scholar program.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Included in the Howard Aronson Metro Scholars Program:
- Insight into how a regional theater really works.
- Two subscriptions to our season.
- The First Day—the kickoff in the Fall includes an orientation, theater exercises, and a tour of the Two River Theater.
- Monthly workshops or projects led by TRT staff and guest artists, exploring various aspects of professional theater.
- “Coffee Talks” after each production, where students and TRT staff share their feedback on the show.
- The Last Day—an entire day of workshops and exercises, run by teaching artists and TRT staff.
- Theater career counseling – Education staff, including Director of Education Kate Cordaro, will become a resource for you, and will help answer the questions you may have about colleges, career options and concerns.
Meet the 22/23 Metro Scholars!
The Two River Theater 2022/23 Howard Aronson Metro Scholars are: Mally Clancy, Isabella Como, JJ DeLaCruz, Bri Munoz (Middlesex County Magnet School – East Brunswick); Jane Kiernan (not pictured) , Grace Sullivan (Trinity Hall); Brooke Norton (Middletown High School North); Lydia Smith (Henry Hudson Regional School); and Mia Spallina (Southern Regional High School.)
NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR 2023/24
High school sophomores who live in New Jersey may apply to be a Howard Aronson Metro Scholar and the program will take place during their junior year (the 2023-2024 school year.)
Students must 1. complete an application, 2. write a Statement of Purpose (info below), 3. submit a written recommendation from a drama / art / tech teacher or guidance counselor, and 4. one of the following:
- Acting: Audition with a 2-minute memorized monologue from a published, contemporary play, and then interview with Two River Theater staff.
- Set / Costume / Lighting / Sound Design: Prepare a design presentation for an actual or proposed production or scene, and then interview with Two River Theater staff.
- Technical / Stage Management: Bring a resume of your technical work and/or stage management book and interview with Two River Theater staff.
Statement of Purpose: We want to know who you are, why you love theater, what sparked you to apply for this program and what you hope to get out of it if accepted. Please write one page telling us these things.
DATES & DEADLINES
- INFO SESSION: Tuesday, February 28 from 4:00-5:00pm at Two River Theater. Teachers, Students and their Parents/Guardians can learn more about the program from staff and current Metro Scholars, take a tour of the theater, and get answers to their questions.
- DEADLINE for Applications and Statements of Purpose: Friday, March 31, 2023. Teacher Recommendations may be sent separately, but also must be received by this date.
- In-Person Auditions / Presentations / Interviews: Mon. April 17 and Tues. April 18. Once applicants have submitted all required materials, they will be emailed a link to schedule their in-person audition/interview.
- Howard Aronson Metro Scholars Officially Announced: Wednesday, April 26, 2023 at the Celebration for Educators, a reception for area teachers at the Two River Theater. All applicants will be informed if they are accepted into the program or not via email by 6:00pm on Friday, April 21, 2023.
ABOUT HOWARD ARONSON
Howard Aronson was a long-time friend and Two River Theater Board Member who passed away in January 2021. Two River is happy to commemorate his legacy by naming one of their long-time, treasured education programs in his honor. The theater’s education programs meant a great deal to Howard, especially those that provided an intimate mentoring experience with the theater for students. Howard is certainly missed and Two River is thrilled to have his legacy commemorated in this meaningful way.